Friday, May 25, 2007

Dinner at Dallas BBQ In The Heart of Chelsea, New York

By David
Kaye

When you're walking around Chelsea and you happen to be craving mouth watering bbq, go to Dallas BBQ located on the corner of 8th avenue and 23rd street. Their website is http://www.dallasbbq.com/

Despite reasonable prices, I was initially skeptical when I reviewed the menu with my good friend Dan as we walked around NYC looking for a tasty, yet inexpensive meal. We hit the jackpot when we entered this restaurant which claims to be New York's most popular bbq restaurant.

After surveying the menu I quickly realized how affordable the prices were. For example, if you arrive before 5:30 P.M. during the weekdays you will receive two full meals consisting of chicken vegetable soup, rotisseried half chickens, cornbread and a choice of potatoes or yellow rice for $9.99. That deal can not be found anywhere else in the city.

Even if one was to order an individual meal most of the prices are $9.99 or less and the portions are truly Texas sized. Most choices over ten dollars are either combo meals consisting of even more food or they are mouth watering sirloin steaks.

Even though I was enticed to order their famous baby back ribs, I decided on the Bar-B-Q brisket of beef for $9.99. It was served with a baked potato, pickles, cole slaw and their famous bbq sauce.

I was down right shocked to see my food arrive within ten minutes of ordering it. Never in my life did I receive such a hearty meal from an impressive restaurant in such a short period of time. Not to mention, the waitress was extremely courteous, friendly and always there if my friend and I needed anything.

The brisket of beef was tender, slowly cooked to perfection and was overall delicious. Their famous bbq sauce on the other hand was zesty, well spiced, but too strong for my palate. I felt that the sauce added an unnecessary extra level of flavor to the meat and in a sense took away from the tastiness of the brisket. Fortunately the baked potato was well prepared, not over cooked and gave me the opportunity to slice right into it without any struggles.

In my critique of Dallas BBQ, I think that the restaurant provided a warm atmosphere with a great view of the heart of Chelsea, reasonable prices, tremendous portions, fantastic service and quality, well prepared food.
If you're into good bbq at affordable prices, Dallas BBQ is the place for you.














No comments: